Use this link to subscribe in a reader

Friday, May 23, 2008

Mini IPSC Match at Iron Sights 05-22-2008


Mini IPSC from Dan K on Vimeo.

UPDATE: Here are the scores from the night

Last night was the first Mini IPSC match. In fact, that was the first time I'd ever shot anything like this. I've done the steel targets a couple of times now, and the paper targets a bunch of times, but never had to shoot and move. I was a little anxious before we got started, that I'd mess up or shoot my hand off, but felt fine even while waiting for my turn.
I had been practicing my draws and some magazine changes at home but that only slightly prepared me for the real thing. Practicing at home seems to be good for presenting from the holster in a static position and getting a sight picture but it's in a sterile, non-exciting environment. Also, I've never had any formal instruction. So, when I get up there I have to think of all the things I will have to do, draw, fire, reload while moving, etc. I also have to be cognizant of my remaining ammo and whether or not I should be doing a tactical reload, where there's a round in the chamber and possibly ammo in the mag but drop the mag and reload anyway - I think, how many more targets I have left to shoot, etc.
It's all very exciting and pretty much everyone is super cool. I'd be stoked to have a buddy or two get involved so we could sort of compete. It would help force me to improve.
Anyway, that's that. Hope you enjoyed.

Here's the mix of all the videos from last night:

Mini IPSC Clip Mix from 05-22-2008 from Dan K on Vimeo.

4 comments:

BillH said...

DJK, is that you in the vids? Looks like a ton of fun. I've never shot IPSC, but it looks good. I'll have to see if I can find it here in ID.

Have you found Mr Completely's blog yet? Give it a look see, and look for the ePostal Match info at the top of the homepage. Consider yourself invited to join in.

DJK said...

Yes, I have... I read MR. C every day. I've been seeing the ePostal match but can't quite figure out what to do.

Thanks for the Invite!

DJK said...

Oops, yes, that is me in the video..in the brown shirt and jeans.

billh said...

the ePostals are a great excuse for getting to the range and staying in practice, at least for me. Just find whichever blog is hosting (usually from the link above the first post), read the rules, print off a ton of targets, and go shooting. Then you just figure your score, scan your targets, or take a digital pic, and email them back to the host blog. Good stuff. Shoot everything you've got! And remember, I'm not very good, I can see squat, and I have tremor in my hands... I'm often the anchor, so don't worry about being last or anything like that. Worry more about the diabolical targets some of these guys pick for us to shoot at ;-)