Use this link to subscribe in a reader

Monday, July 28, 2008

Letter from Congressman Darrell Issa opposing the legalization of Marijuana for repsonsible people

These politicians seem to oppose the use of marijuana out of hand and therefore believe the rest of us should too. Wake up your politicians....let them know what you think.

Dear Mr. K:



Thank you for contacting me regarding the legalization of marijuana. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you may know, marijuana has been considered an illicit narcotic since the passage of the Congressional enactment of "The Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970," otherwise known as "The Controlled Substances Act" (CSA). This law overhauled the existing state and federal statutes governing marijuana. The CSA established a new system for "scheduling" or classifying drugs based on their potential for abuse. Congress declared that those drugs with a high potential for abuse and no generally accepted medical use, would be defined as Schedule I drugs. Marijuana was one of several narcotics that were placed in Schedule I of that Act. I oppose the legalization of marijuana as I am convinced that its potential for abuse is substantial.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. While we disagree on this issue, I am glad you took the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on matters of concern to you.





Sincerely,

Darrell Issa
Member of Congress

No comments: